|US||2005||30||Crime . Drama . Comedy|
Is the grass really greener on the other side? Yes, and it smells better, too! So when Nancy Botwin (Golden Globe winner Mary-Louise Parker) faces both sudden widowhood and poverty, she's determined to do anything to keep her kids in suburbia, including taking a job as the neighborhood pot dealer. Subversive, satirical and hilarious, the first season of this groundbreaking Showtime hit is guaranteed to spark laughter!
|Airs:||2011-8-15 at 10:00 pm|
"Weeds" may indeed be the best-written new show of the year so far, but the performances are superb as well.
The opening of Weeds makes me want to scream. ... That said, Weeds is a dozen times more creative than its opening credits.
The premiere is a bit stiff, but the episodes improve over time, mostly thanks to two mesmerizing actresses in the lead roles.
Showtime's subversive new offering is smart, funny, human and truly likable.
Weeds is still trying a little too hard—trying, by turns, to be edgy and HBO-ish or campy and ABC-ish. But if it hasn't yet quite achieved the self-confident swagger of HBO flagships like The Wire or The Sopranos, it's certainly a lot more fun to watch than Desperate Housewives.
The best I can wish for is a vehicle worthy of Parker’s prodigal talents ... By this standard, Showtime’s new sitcom Weeds is at least adequate, verging occasionally on inspired.
Like Lisa Kudrow on the heinous The Comeback, Parker brings a great performance to a less than one-dimensional part.
Weeds feels like a stoned Desperate Housewives: The pupils are dilated wide, as if able to pick out in sharp relief every detail of this suburban America, yet nothing really seems in focus at all.
The result is another finely acted cable drama with great production values and the germ of an interesting idea behind it but no coherent tone or character development or story, even -- just a series of attempts to pass off creatively exaggerated behavior, the more desperate the better, as some kind of social commentary.
1. Ganja Babe ( Performer: Michael Franti & Spearhead Itunes )
2. Little Boxes ( Performer: Malvina Reynolds Itunes )
3. Cotton ( Performer: The Mountain Goats Itunes )
4. A Doodlin' Song ( Performer: Peggy Lee Itunes )
5. If I Ever Leave This World Alive ( Performer: Flogging Molly Itunes )
6. Birthday Video ( Performer: Joey Santiago Itunes )
7. More Than a Friend ( Performer: All Too Much Itunes )
8. Fake Purse ( Performer: Joey Santiago Itunes )
9. All the Trees of the Field Will Clap Their Hands ( Performer: Sufjan Stevens Itunes )
10. Wacky Tobacky ( Performer: NRBQ Itunes )
11. Who Knows ( Performer: Marion Black Itunes )
12. The Littlest Birds ( Performer: The Be Good Tanyas Itunes )
13. Blood ( Performer: Sons & Daughters Itunes )
14. I Can't Move ( Performer: Martin Creed Itunes )
15. Satan Lend Me a Dollar ( Performer: Hill of Beans Itunes )
16. David ( Performer: Nellie McKay Itunes )
17. The Laws Have Changed ( Performer: The New Pornographers Itunes )
18. Not Enough ( Performer: The 88 Itunes )
19. Kicking the Heart Out ( Performer: Rogue Wave Itunes )
20. Huskaroo TV Spot ( Performer: Brandon Jay & Gwendolyn Sanford Itunes )
21. Bathtime In Clerkenwell ( Performer: The Real Tuesday Weld Itunes )
22. Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games ( Performer: of Montreal Itunes )
23. One Thousand Tears of a Tarantula ( Performer: Dengue Fever Itunes )
24. F***, Was I ( Performer: Jenny Owen Youngs Itunes )
25. It Ain't You ( Performer: Squirrel Nut Zippers Itunes )
26. Holland ( Performer: Sufjan Stevens Itunes )
27. The Ghost of Corporate Future ( Performer: Regina Spektor Itunes )
28. Shane Digs Gretchen ( Performer: Brandon Jay & Gwendolyn Sanford Itunes )
29. Strange Things Are Happening ( Performer: Fern Jones Itunes )
30. Neighborhood ( Performer: Aidan Hawken Itunes )
31. All Good ( Performer: Zeroleen Itunes )
32. From Agrestic to Las Vegas ( Performer: Brandon Jay & Gwendolyn Sanford Itunes )
33. Buttmachine ( Performer: That 1 Guy Itunes )
34. The Earth Keeps Turning On ( Performer: Mr. Smolin Itunes )
35. Just Like the Superdome ( Performer: Kevin Nealon Itunes )
36. Chariot ( Performer: Page France Itunes )
37. Girl Anachronism ( Performer: The Dresden Dolls Itunes )